The Southern Enclosure is Maungatautari's showcase site, within which there are 5 kms of wide metalled walking tracks. Maps and signs at the main track junctions help guide your visit.
Please visit our new Sanctuary Mountain Maungatautari Visitor Website www.sanctuarymountain.co.nz for current admission prices.
There are no dangerous animals or poisonous creatures in New Zealand so you can relax as you wander through the enclosure and enjoy being surrounded by its natural environment.
Rata Track - 2.2kms (suitable for walkers with mild to medium level of fitness) If you only have time for one walk then take this one which gives access to the canopy tower, the aviary and at least one supplementary feeding station. There are a number of seats located along the track.
- Rimu Track - 2 kms (suitable for walkers with a medium level of fitness) This track takes you into the tranquil interior of the enclosure where you will experience the peace of nature at its best with enhanced opportunities for bird sightings amongst some of the more magnificent of our native trees.
- Nikau Track - 700m
- Ponga Track - 130m
We now have a range of guided walks available. See our Guided Tours page for details.
Enjoy a delicious dinner at Out in the Styx Guesthouse, and experience how a regenerating New Zealand forest comes alive at night! One of our knowledgeable Night Guides will show you New Zealand's native nocturnal wildlife in their natural habitat.
- All night walks are by arrangement only
- Maximum number for a group walk is 10 (minimum 4)
- Headlights are supplied for the walk - otherwise dress warmly
- Meet at Out in the Styx Guesthouse, Pukeatua
- Bookings are essential - phone 0800 461 559
- $90 per person including dinner (proceeds to Maungatautari Ecological Island Trust to support biodiversity management).
Please note that we are not officially wheelchair accredited as our tracks are too steep to qualify. Whilst we have had visitors to the southern enclosure in push and motorized wheelchairs before who have managed, this is not always the case. We therefore recommend a pre-visit by someone familiar with the chair's capabilities before you book.